Skip to main content

Week 2 Story: The Cunning Crane and the Crab II

In a lake far from the lake where the Crab now lived, was the brother of the Crane that was killed. In this lake, the Brother Crane chose not to eat the fish, but rather the fruit from the nearby trees. One day, Brother Crane started to miss his sibling who he had not seen in a long time, so he decided to pay Crane a visit. The flight was long, but there was plenty of fruit on the trees for him to eat. After 9 days of flying, Brother Crane finally arrived. He called out to his brother, "Crane! It is I. For I have flown many nights to see you. Why do you hide from me?" There was no response. Again, Brother Crane called out, "Brother, where are you?" No response.

Meanwhile, Crab was resting in a shallow area of the lake when he heard shouting. He was angered by the noise and decided to investigate. When he came to the surface of the lake, he searched the trees for the voice until he spotted Brother Crane. Crab was frightened, for Brother Crane looked exactly like his sibling. Crab then scanned the lake to find Cranes body still lying where he was killed. Luckily, Brother Crane had not spotted his dead sibling, so Crab had to think fast. He came up with an idea and shouted to Brother Crane, "Hello Crane! Back so soon? I thought your Brother lived further away?"

Brother Crane look for the voice and saw Crab on the surface of the lake. "What are you talking about? I am not Crane, I am his Brother. I came to visit him, for it has been too long," said Brother Crane. Crab quickly responded, "What a coincidence. Crane left 3 days ago to go visit you because he had not seen you in so long." Crab started to walk toward Brother Crane so that he could keep him distracted from Crane's dead body.

Brother Crane felt suspicious of the Crab because Crane was not a sentimental sibling. Crane would never have made the flight to go see Brother Crane.

Brother Crane decided to go along with the Crab, "Well how silly of us. I suppose I will head back and try to catch up with him."

Crab thought he had won. "It was nice to meet you Brother Crane! Make sure you come and visit again when Crane is here," he said. Brother Crane replied, "I will! It was nice to meet you too," and began to fly away.

Brother Crane still did not trust Crab and hid in a nearby until the crab went back to resting. When Crab was back asleep, Brother Crane flew over the lake to try and find his brother. That is when he spotted the dead body of Crane near the shore. Brother Crane knew who did this because Crane's head was cut from his body.

Brother Crane waited for Crab to awake from his nap, hiding in a tree close to the shore. When Crab emerged from the water, Brother Crane swooped down and scoop him up in his beak. Crab yelled, "Do not eat me! Your sibling was going to eat me so I had to cut off his head!" Brother Crane replied, "I do not eat Crab just like I do not eat fish," as he continued to fly away from the lake. "But I cannot let you live after what you did to Crane."

"What are you going to do with me?" asked Crab.

After a long flight that lasted 5 days, Brother Crane landed at another lake. He spit out Crab and put his foot on him so he could not get away. "Sister Crane! Are you here? I have brought your favorite food!"

Sister Crane ate Crab and gave Brother Crane some fruits from a nearby tree in return. The spent the next few days together, for it had been too long since they last saw each other.
(Two Cranes. Source: PublicDomanFiles)

Authors Note: This story was a continuation of "The Cunning Crane and the Crab."


Bibliography. "The Cunning Crane and the Crab" from The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. Web Source.

Comments

  1. I loved your story it was different from the ones I have read the fact that mourning over his brother the brother Crain suspected something was not normal and found out the truth and keeping his calm he took the crab and kept him in dark what is to happen to him. The brother Crain can eat the crab but he likes to eat fruits so without breaking his personal goal he traded the crab with his sister for fruits and both enjoyed their favorite food that is smart. The Crain brother was smart and did not loose his temper and was smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YaBoiiiii, this story was so good that I thought it was an actual story written in the jatakas. The part where the Crab thought he was tricking the Crane was a sequel to the first part which really interested me as it was a parallel concept between the two. Great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacob! This story is really well written and follows along with how traditional Indian folk tales are written. I think my favorite part was the perspective the story was written from, you do an excellent job at capturing what the creatures are thinking as the plot progresses. As well, the brother crane is an interesting character that serves as a nice dichotomy of the original crane that may as well be in the original story. Overall, super well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jacob!

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. I have to concur with Riddhi and how this story's style is so different from the stories I have read from other classmates'. You do a great job of continuing the traditional epic with adding your own twist and flair, yet not venturing too far off from the tone of the original jakata. Perhaps you may consider writing more in your author's note? Though I have read the "Cunning Crane and the Crab," other readers might have a hard time understanding the parallels from the original story with your continuation of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heath! I found this story also to be a really interesting read when I had to read it for the class. I think you did a really good job on keeping the structure of the story in line but also adding in your own parts to it. I really felt like I was reading one of the Jakata stories because of how well you had kept the story flowing from one thing to next. The addition of the brother crane was a good idea I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This retelling was a fun ride! The conclusion particularly was so unexpected. You did well to maintain suspense throughout with the choice that the killed crane was within visibility, and while I assumed he had to see him sometime I certainly didn't expect the brother to go from sparing the crab to taking him to his "sister" who wasn't a vegetarian(?) like him. At the very start I thought his personal decision not to eat fish was as a result of what happened to his brother, but to learn it was unrelated and just a trait of this character threw me for a loop- but not a bad one! Very creative retelling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 11 Story: The Voice

A few months had passed since the Jackal/Lion cub was made fun of for using his voice. Many had forgotten as he had fell into the background during the games and activities that he went to. He still had the body of a lion and that was enough to stop others from continuing to make fun of him. The worst part about not using his voice is that the cub was terrified to pursue his true dream: to sing. One day the cub was running errands for his father (the lion). He had some food strapped on his back that he was carrying home and was getting bored on the long walk back home. Then, a thought popped into his head. He looked around and saw that no one was there, so he began to sing. What many do not know about a jackal's voice is that they have the most beautiful singing voice. It had been so long since the cub had been able to use his voice that is was a little hoarse, but shortly it became a lovely clear tune that his mother (the jackal) used to sing for him when he was little. Every