Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

Out of all the stories that I read, there were three that were all very common in how they were told, they characters within them, and the overall theme. These were "The Cunning Crane and the Crab" by W.H.D. Rouse, "The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart" by Marie L. Shedlock, and "The Crocodile in the River" by Robert Chalmers.
(Crane deceiving fish. Source: Jatakas)

The latter two included the exact same characters: a hungry female crocodile, a loyal male crocodile, and a cunning monkey. The crocodiles were not dumb however, for they had a smart plan of themselves to try and trick the monkey, but the monkey just happened to be smarter. This was also the case in the story about the crane and the crab. The crane was extremely smart himself by tricking the fish into thinking that he was kind; however, the crab was able to outsmart even the crane.

For each of these three stories, the "villain" (i.e crocodile and crane) was driven by hunger/desire. This desire ultimately led them to fail at obtaining what they wanted. I think this story is used to teach people that having a strong desire and greed for something will lead to your downfall. The crane getting beheaded was the extreme version of that, but even the crocodile was going to get a butt chewing from his wife when he goes back home.

There was also a "hero" for each story (i.e monkey and crab) that were able to come up with their own trick to save themselves. All three characters had patience and great observation skills to be able to see what the villain was trying to do. Rather than acting hastily, they were able to observe the situation and form a plan of action to escape. In the end, the smart and patient heroes were able to live on with their lives, while the villains had to face defeat.

One thing that I noticed between the two stories is the violence that occurred in the crane/crab story and lack of violence in the monkey/crocodile stories. In the beginning of the the monkey/crocodile story it mentioned that the Buddha told the story with him as the monkey. Rather than end the story with him physically defeating the crocodile, he showed that he could do it mentally. To me, another lesson the Buddha is trying to teach is that violence is not always needed against an adversary. The crab did not follow this, but instead used wit and physical violence to defeat the crane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 11 Story: The Voice

A few months had passed since the Jackal/Lion cub was made fun of for using his voice. Many had forgotten as he had fell into the background during the games and activities that he went to. He still had the body of a lion and that was enough to stop others from continuing to make fun of him. The worst part about not using his voice is that the cub was terrified to pursue his true dream: to sing. One day the cub was running errands for his father (the lion). He had some food strapped on his back that he was carrying home and was getting bored on the long walk back home. Then, a thought popped into his head. He looked around and saw that no one was there, so he began to sing. What many do not know about a jackal's voice is that they have the most beautiful singing voice. It had been so long since the cub had been able to use his voice that is was a little hoarse, but shortly it became a lovely clear tune that his mother (the jackal) used to sing for him when he was little. Every