Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 11: Jataka Tales B

For this reading, I stuck with the Jataka tales and realized how much I loved reading these. They feel less daunting than a whole book so the reading goes by so much faster. This week the first story I chose I did not actually like. I actually hated it because the message it had was not a good lesson and did not have an actual ending. It was the "Silence is Golden" story. It started off with a lion and a jackal having a kid together. While he looked like a lion, he sounded like a jackal. Because of this he would never speak. One time he decided to speak and he was made fun of. After that he decided to never speak again. Then the story just ends. It ended like the lesson was telling us to be ashamed of something we were born with. I get that this story was not written in 2019, but wow.

If I were to write a story with this as my source, I would definitely change it to make sure that he learned how to speak up and not be ashamed for what he sounded like. As a kid and even now people have said my voice can be pretty high at times and it sucks. Your voice is a necessity to most peoples everyday life. 0/10 story.

The second story I read was also about lions and jackal and it was the one where the lioness wanted to kill the jackal all because he wanted to marry her. In the end two of the lions died and so did the jackal and the last line of story describes that she was not even sad about her brothers. It said as long as one of them was left to bring them food and that the jackal was dead, she was happy. What kind of story is this?! I want a happy ending and these two stories both gave really crappy endings. When writing my own story I will definitely be making better endings.

(Howling Cub. Source: Blogger)

Bibliography: Jatakas, Panchatantra, and Other Fables from India

Comments

  1. Hi again Jacob! Here I am again getting my comments in but I agree with you on how much fun the Jataka tales are. Because they are like short stories that you are able to build off of and frame your own story. The lions and jackal story was interesting but also one of my favorites was the Elephant and the old lady since it was a story where it showed how much the elephant valued the old lady who took care of him and how he wanted to repay her in the kindest way. It shows that this is the type of love that exists in the world and that a love like this is the most purest and most honest. Good job on these posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 12 Story: Seeking Refuge

A family of five stand in the long line at the Mexico/US border trying to get through. The mother asks the father if he has the correct paperwork needed to cross through. They believe there will be no issue as they are only seeking refuge in the states. With anticipation they wait. Longer and longer as the sun beats down overhead. Finally, after about six hours waiting, their turn comes. The border patrol asks for their paperwork. He stares at it for a long time as if trying to find something wrong with it. Eventually he hands it back to them and tells them to pass. The children start to get excited, but the mother tells them to calm down. They are not in the clear until the border is no longer in sight. As they begin the cross the bridge by foot, they are stopped by another patrol. He tells them to come over for a random inspection. The father does not know what they are going to inspect. All they have are the clothes on their backs. The officer searches each one of them, even t