Skip to main content

Feedback thoughts

Today, people feel the need to constantly be giving feedback to one another. While this can often be a good thing, it can also be a negative thing. Good feedback would be constructive criticism, while bad feedback is just criticism. As a college student, I receive and give both forms of feedback. For me, I like constructive criticism. It may not make me feel good right away, but I generally take it well and try to improve. The thing I do not like, which is what I receive more than than good feedback is straight up criticism. This criticism is mostly about material things like the clothes we wear to the things we say. I cannot put full blame on everyone else though, because I even criticize people even when I am not meaning to. It is something we all need to be more aware of because criticism hurts. 

One of the articles that I read was titled "Why Rejection Hurts so Much," which talked about how the feelings behind rejection are mostly caused by ourselves. Personally, I hate rejection. The article talked about how there are large scale rejections like getting fired from a job, but also small scale rejections like someone not responding to a text. For me, the small scale rejections are much more damaging because of how often they occur. I overthink anything and everything, so when someone does not respond to me or says something that has multiple meanings, I go into a panic. What did I do? What did I say? Thankfully, as I have gotten older I have learned how to talk myself down and understand that it is not about me. There are still times however where I will make myself go crazy thinking about something that should not matter as much in the overall scheme of things. 


The article "Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head" bounces of the idea of how I make myself feel after rejection. Anytime I go into this panic mode, all I can hear are voices telling me that it is all my fault. They tell me I am annoying, too loud, not attractive, dumb, and countless other things. The constant negative thoughts crossing through my head take a toll of my mental health. This article talks about how if you rewire your brain to start thinking of the positives during these times, then it can help. I can attest to this because I have done this. Talking yourself up is the best way to reverse those feelings and help you live a life for yourself, and not for other people. 


(Image: Rejected. Source: MaxPixel)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 12 Story: Seeking Refuge

A family of five stand in the long line at the Mexico/US border trying to get through. The mother asks the father if he has the correct paperwork needed to cross through. They believe there will be no issue as they are only seeking refuge in the states. With anticipation they wait. Longer and longer as the sun beats down overhead. Finally, after about six hours waiting, their turn comes. The border patrol asks for their paperwork. He stares at it for a long time as if trying to find something wrong with it. Eventually he hands it back to them and tells them to pass. The children start to get excited, but the mother tells them to calm down. They are not in the clear until the border is no longer in sight. As they begin the cross the bridge by foot, they are stopped by another patrol. He tells them to come over for a random inspection. The father does not know what they are going to inspect. All they have are the clothes on their backs. The officer searches each one of them, even t