Skip to main content

Week 4 Story: Sugriva's Speech

(T scene opens at the funeral of Vali. Only a few people are there. Angada (Vali's son) and Tara (Vali's wife) are standing over the grave. Only a handful of monkeys are standing behind them. Quiet sobs are heard from the monkey's, but Angada and Tara remain emotionless. Rama and Lakshmana are standing far from the crowd under a nearby tree as they watch from a distance. Sugriva stand on the opposite site of the grave from Angada and Tara with a piece of paper in his hand.)

Sugriva: Growing up with Vali was difficult. Vali was strong. Unbeatable. I always knew he would be superior to me. Even so, I loved him and supported him. He would have became an incredible leader.

While most remember him for his strength, few know of his moments outside of battle. When we were young, Vali and I were out on a hunt when we came across a small hut standing alone in the forest. I did not think anything of this, but Vali insisted something was off. We approach the house and knocked on the door. We waited, but no one answered. I said that we should get back to hunting, yet he continued to insist we investigate. He pushed the door open and we both saw on the ground a woman who was unconscious. Vali picked her up and we hurried back to the Sage. Within a few days, the woman was back to normal and was able to return back to her home in the woods. I think about that moment every time I think of Vali. Had he not insisted that we look, that woman would have died. It is almost ironic, for now I am speaking at his funeral.

That being said, I still am not able to forgive my brother for what he did to me. As courageous, smart, and powerful he was, he was also rash. Had he given me the chance to speak, we would be living together with him ruling and me at his side. Had he given me the chance to speak, I would have told him how much I missed him while he was away in that cave. Had he given me the chance to speak, none of us would be here right now.

Now that I am able to speak, none of these things can happen.

My brother is dead. His son is without a father and his wife without a husband. I am not sorry for what happen, but I will make sure Angada and Tara are taken care of. They will continue to live a full and happy life.

Lastly to my brother, I love you. I will visit you every day until I am buried next to you. I will speak to you every day to make up for all that I was unable to say before. Goodbye brother. I will be back tomorrow.

(Sugriva throws the paper into the grave and shovels the first scoop of dirt into he grave. Angada and Tara follow. It begins to rain. Sugriva is the first to leave and the rest leave shortly after. All that remain are Rama and Lakshmana under the tree. Scene ends.)

(Vali Dying. Source:Wikipedia)

Comments

  1. Jacob,
    I really liked being able to read your story over Sugriva's speech. I think it was a unique concept of giving Sugriva a voice for his final words to Vali. I like that you mentioned how although they had a lot of differences and the outcome was not idea, Sugriva and Vali were still brothers and Sugriva was going to make sure Vali's kids were taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob! I thought this story was great. You set the setting very well in your first paragraph. I felt like I could perfectly imagine the scene that you imagined when you were typing your story. I also really, really liked that you extended the funeral story of Vali to make a story of Sugriva giving a eulogy. When reading the Ramayana I did not think that deeply about Vali's funeral, but your story has sparked some interest in that topic for me. I wonder what Angada and Tara felt towards Sugriva? I know they were obviously taking the loss of Vali very hard as you discussed how they remained motionless, but does that also imply some resentment towards Sugriva? I could be wrong here, but from the Ramayana it seems that most high socially-ranked people usually have a funeral where their body was burnt instead of buried - what if the story ended with discussing a burial ritual commonly practiced in India at the time of the Ramayana?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacob! Your story was very well-written and heartfelt. You were very descriptive and detailed with your wording, which is what I liked about it. My favorite part of your story was when Sugriva kept saying "Had he given me the chance to speak..." I really liked the repetition of that line because it leaves a powerful impact on your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 12 Story: Seeking Refuge

A family of five stand in the long line at the Mexico/US border trying to get through. The mother asks the father if he has the correct paperwork needed to cross through. They believe there will be no issue as they are only seeking refuge in the states. With anticipation they wait. Longer and longer as the sun beats down overhead. Finally, after about six hours waiting, their turn comes. The border patrol asks for their paperwork. He stares at it for a long time as if trying to find something wrong with it. Eventually he hands it back to them and tells them to pass. The children start to get excited, but the mother tells them to calm down. They are not in the clear until the border is no longer in sight. As they begin the cross the bridge by foot, they are stopped by another patrol. He tells them to come over for a random inspection. The father does not know what they are going to inspect. All they have are the clothes on their backs. The officer searches each one of them, even t