Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Narayan's Mahabharata, Section A

The Eighth Baby: They were very nonchalant about killing seven babies. It seems many of the characters follow a similar theme, with them being very nonchalant about death, yet extremely passionate about carrying on the family legacy.

At first I did not think I was going to like Bhishma, but he quickly grew on me as he was sticking to his vow. Though all the things that followed because he stuck to his vow were a bit odd. The whole page about the fish smell and how a fish/human hybrid baby was born, except the only trait of a fish that she kept was the smell. It seems like for my own stories I could get a little more outlandish. I also laughed out loud whenever Vyasa said he needed a full year to prepare for sex.

I had anticipated more of an emphasis on Vidura, but they chapter ended with the emphasis on the Padavas and the blind kings many sons

So far this is very different from the Ramayana as so much happens in very few lines. Praying to gods seem to usually end with a powerful child. It is also random as to when a curse will happen or something good will happen. For the story I write, I definitely want to slow it down a bit and emphasize only a few characters to give readers a better idea of how I see each character.

Bhismas death is not elaborated on but seems very interesting.

Enter-The Players: The names of everyone and trying to remember who was who and how they were related became a bit difficult here. So far there definitely seems to be family drama that could be elaborated on in a story.

House of Joy and Ashes: Im glad to see Vidura come back. I cannot tell if the Padavas are cocky or just very charismatic people. I mean they are the best of the best so I can see where the jealousy of them come from. Maybe not enough to kill them, but I mean that has even happened in present day.

Bride for Five: Once again I am confused. Bhima killed a demon and then the demons sister falls in love with him and they have a kid? I will either be writing an insane story with lots of weird stuff like this, or make a more cohesive story of one of them.


(Padavas. Source: Wikipedia)


Bibliography: Mahabharata, R.K. Narayan. Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 12 Story: Seeking Refuge

A family of five stand in the long line at the Mexico/US border trying to get through. The mother asks the father if he has the correct paperwork needed to cross through. They believe there will be no issue as they are only seeking refuge in the states. With anticipation they wait. Longer and longer as the sun beats down overhead. Finally, after about six hours waiting, their turn comes. The border patrol asks for their paperwork. He stares at it for a long time as if trying to find something wrong with it. Eventually he hands it back to them and tells them to pass. The children start to get excited, but the mother tells them to calm down. They are not in the clear until the border is no longer in sight. As they begin the cross the bridge by foot, they are stopped by another patrol. He tells them to come over for a random inspection. The father does not know what they are going to inspect. All they have are the clothes on their backs. The officer searches each one of them, even t