Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: Agni's Confusion

All of the gods were happy to see that Ravana was defeated and that Sita was returning home to Rama. After all Rama has went through to save the love of his life, they can finally live in peace. As the gods gathered around to watch the reunion of Sita and Rama at his house, Agni, the fire god, felt that something was off. Rama was not as excited as everyone else and Agni noticed. When Sita finally arrived she knocked on the door to see Rama answer. She began to come inside but Rama blocked her way.

"Are you not excited to see me?" Sita asked.

"You cannot come in because I do not know if Ravana has tainted you," Rama replied.

Sita was not surprised by his answer. She turned around and left without saying another word. Meanwhile, Angi, along with the other gods, were watching this is confusion. Because of this, Angi went down to speak to Rama to clear this up.

"Why have you turned away the woman you fought so hard to save?" Angi asked.

Rama replied, "while I love Sita, I cannot be with a woman who has slept with Ravana. I fought to save her, but I also fought to defeat Ravana. I completed both of those tasks."

Angi was taken aback by this reply. "How can you be so stupid. Sita loves you and would do anything to be with you. It was not her choice to be captured. If Ravana ruined her purity, that was not her choice either. Do not ruin your future with Sita because of this."

Right after this was said, Angi heard his name be called from outside. He hurried outside to see Sita standing in the middle of a large fire.

"Agni! Help me show Rama that I am still pure," Sita yelled from the fire.

Agni was able to see that she was telling the truth and said to Rama, "Do you see what she would do for you? She is pure and remains untouched by Ravana. Do not allow your stupidity to cloud your love for Sita ever again."

Agni left, still confused by the whole ordeal. If Rama were to ever treat Sita like that again, Agni knew that he would punish Rama.

(Agni the Fire God. Source: Wikimedia Commons)


Authors Note: This was another story that I read that confused me as to why Rama would turn Sita away even if something was not her choice. This story reminds me a lot of the recent Bachelorette drama where one of the guys told the Bachelorette not to sleep with other guys in the house. Because the story does not touch  on the fact about how dumb Rama is, I wanted to make a story addressing this.

Comments

  1. Hey Jacob! I really liked how you went deeper into the story of Rama questioning Sita after Rama rescued her from Ravana. This also confused me deeply while reading the Ramayana. I like how you expressed your view of Rama being unnecessarily rough on Sita through the mouth of Agni/made Agni a main character of this story. You said Sita was not surprised by Rama questioning her loyalty, but do you think she was annoyed or upset by Rama's actions? I found myself wondering this as I read your story. Also, you hinted that Agni would punish Rama if Rama pulled this stunt on Sita again. What actions do you think Agni would take if he were to punish Rama? If you were to write this story again, I'd also consider writing the story from Agni's point of view. If you were to write the story from Agni's point of view, you would be able to dive into Agni's actual thoughts instead of just what he said. I think this was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jacob! I really liked how you chose to tell the story from the perspective of Agni, the fire god. I had never really thought of Agni having an opinion on the whole scenario. I really appreciated how Agni pointed out Rama’s fault in having doubt in Sita. I could never understand why he treats her so poorly since Sita is so faithful to Rama. My one critique is that the spelling of “Agni” changes to “Angi” and then back to “Agni”. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacob! I like the stories that continue the events that happen after Rama has rescued Sita from Ravana. I really like you take on the events that happened and the inclusion of Agni because I feel he really took the role of Rama's father in that situation. I also think in the story you really painted a clear picture on what happened and the short story line was easy to follow. You did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

(Sea of Dreams. Source: Pixabay ) Storybook

Introduction to Ya Boi Jacob Heath

Hey all, My name is Jacob, but I go by many nicknames: Jake, Heath (my last name), DJ (it is a long story). You can also just call me Jacob, which is what most people do. My major is microbiology/pre-med. Microbiology is an odd major because the first microbiology course I took was not until second semester junior year, so I am glad I enjoyed it or else I would have wasted my first two years on a major I did not enjoy! I eventual plan is to become a doctor. I still have a long ways to get there, but I am hopeful. People always ask me what specialty I am planning on, and I always hate giving them an answer. That part of my life is sooooo far away that I know my views and likes on different areas of medicine will change. Because most people expect an answer, I tell them sleep medicine because something about sleep and dreams interest me so much. I was the kid who had night terrors and sleep walked (I still do sometimes), so I think it would be a good fit for me. My biggest hobby wo

Week 12 Story: Seeking Refuge

A family of five stand in the long line at the Mexico/US border trying to get through. The mother asks the father if he has the correct paperwork needed to cross through. They believe there will be no issue as they are only seeking refuge in the states. With anticipation they wait. Longer and longer as the sun beats down overhead. Finally, after about six hours waiting, their turn comes. The border patrol asks for their paperwork. He stares at it for a long time as if trying to find something wrong with it. Eventually he hands it back to them and tells them to pass. The children start to get excited, but the mother tells them to calm down. They are not in the clear until the border is no longer in sight. As they begin the cross the bridge by foot, they are stopped by another patrol. He tells them to come over for a random inspection. The father does not know what they are going to inspect. All they have are the clothes on their backs. The officer searches each one of them, even t